Derecho 2020

A strong weather phenomenon called a derecho moved quickly through Southwest Michigan last night. It took all of 3 minutes after the highspeed winds started for us to lose power. So the kids had to use up their screen time in the dark before bed last night.

The winds hit 66 mph in Benton Harbor, according to I&M. We had a few small branches fall in the yard as well as a larger limb off the neighbor's tree that we'll need to clean up. (CHAINSAWS!!!)

But before we get to it, the kids have a temporary fort to play in for a couple of days.

My office was without power until about 3:30 this afternoon, which meant our servers were also down. So there wasn't much I could do until later in the day. To try and save some of the leftovers from the warming fridge, we tossed our leftover Jet's Pizza on the grill for lunch. It warmed the pizza up pretty well.

Finally, this afternoon, we went to the school so I could try and edit a couple of things for the paper's website. Almost as soon as we got there, I got word that power had come back online at the office, which made it a little easier. After dinner I hit the office to help the copy desk catch up on pages, and I got word that power came back on at home. So I guess the moral of the story is, if the power goes out, I just have to leave home for it to be restored.

Comments