The 2nd Annual Steinke Tournament Challenge

It's that time of the year again. Time for the Steinkes to fill out NCAA Tournament brackets. Unlike some tournament pools, there is no prize (outside of family bragging right). I am the reigning champion after I picked Michigan to make the championship game last year. I think they'll have another good run this year (which could get even better if Mitch McGary makes a surprise return), but I don't think the Wolverines can make it all the way without a better defense.

My picks

This year, I chose Florida to win the tournament. I'm sure that puts me in the same pool as 85 percent of bracketologists, but they seem to have the easiest path to the championship. They won't face a good opponent until they come up against Syracuse in the Elite Eight. If Michigan State can stay healthy, though, that game could be pretty interesting. On the other side of the bracket, I see Arizona playing the winner of the tough Midwest region. The real winner of this tournament is whoever can survive that region. It has three of last year's Final Four teams (Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan) as well as Duke and Kentucky. It's going to be rough.

Mom's picks

Mrs. Augie's Mom has a little more confidence in Michigan than I do, or maybe she just really likes the Big Ten (three conference schools in the Final Four). If Syracuse can upset Florida, she has a good shot at beating Augie and I.

Augie's Picks

For the second year in a row, Augie made some really, really bold picks, including four wins for 16 seeds. Maybe next year I'll tell him a 16 seed has never won. Although the rest of his picks were pretty questionable, too. I think I have a better chance of picking the perfect bracket than Manhattan does of winning the tournament. But maybe Augie knows something I don't. He was the only person in the nation to have 15 seed Florida Gulf Coast winning two games last year. He was very decisive with his picks this year. I read him both teams, and he made his choice immediately. No thinking required.

Little Miss doesn't have a bracket this year because I couldn't think of a good way for her to pick teams. Next year, she'll definitely get in on the fun. Games start tonight, so stay tuned for how we all fared.

Comments