Kids of the Roundtable

Those of you who follow me on Facebook know that I've been working on a table. Last night, I put the last coat of poly on the base, which meant today I could screw the halves together and let the kids play. As far as projects go, this one was pretty cheap. I picked up the table on Craigslist for $25, and spent about $5 on paint. The other materials I already had.

It was never going to be the perfect project for a number of reasons, but that's OK because it was headed to the basement for the kids to play on. It's not like it was going to be our dining room table.

For starters, it was a round table that was supposed to pull apart and accommodate leaves. The guy I bought it from didn't have the leaves anymore, so I took out the slide mechanism to reduce the weight and permanently screwed the two halves together. The bottom board that held two of the feet had come unglued and fallen off the base, one of the four curved feet was broken and needed a new piece carved out, the decorative trim underneath the tabletop was missing several pieces so I took it all off and repaired the broken trim behind it, the varnish had crackled and needed to come off, the tabletop had three deep gauges in it (and still does) and the top is a little wavy from neglect. I fixed it up the best I could, and overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to find some mismatch wooden chairs to go with it.

Comments