In the Archives: Family Reunions

12th annual Steinke family reunion in 1940 (photo by Hetzler Studio of Benton Harbor)
As I've mentioned in the past, the Steinke family used to gather for reunions. Big reunions. Maybe they still do, I don't know. But I've never been to one, at least not that I can remember. According to my photo from 1940, the parties started in 1929. And wouldn't you know it, they got their picture in the paper ...

... in 1991, when The Herald-Palladium wrote up a story on family reunions. There was a whole section on the Steinkes planning their 63rd annual reunion at Sodus Township Park. I can't think of a more fitting place for a Steinke family gathering, though the party moved around quite a bit over the years.

According to the article, the reunions were originally scheduled for Labor Day because most of the family was engaged in farming and the fruit market was closed on Labor Day. Entertainment at the reunions included auctions, a penny scramble and bingo. And prizes were awarded to the youngest, oldest, newest married and the person who traveled the farthest to attend.

Due to his July birthday, and the aforementioned Labor Day gathering date, my dad was the youngest relative in attendance in 1961. I'm sure it was the most cherished award he ever won. There was also a baseball game that year (an annual tradition from newspaper accounts) between the city and the farm members of the family. If there is still a gathering with prizes, food and baseball, I'll be there tomorrow. Just someone let me know.

In fact, the Steinke family reunion was such a hot ticket that THE SITTING GOVERNOR OF MICHIGAN CAME TO THE 1933 REUNION!

That's right, our great state's 33rd governor, William Comstock, was the guest of honor during his first year as governor (I'm not sure how that didn't make his Wikipedia page). And he stayed for 3 hours! Apparently, he was related to the family via marriage. The day's contests included a balloon blowing contest, sack races and a shoe race (whatever that is).

While the photo from the start of today's post did not make the paper, it was worth a mention. The group photo of "Berrien's largest family reunion" was put on display in the photographer's shop window.

I could go on and on with clippings from Steinke reunions featuring attendance figures, baseball game scores, prize winners and pictures. The announcements were in the paper every single year. But to keep it short, I'll just stop here and note that 250-300 people seemed to be the norm at these gatherings. The reunions must have been a ball.

Comments