The Story Behind the Story of Face Masks

Mom: Professional model.
This week's column for The HP featured reader-generated content. A subscriber called me after reading last week's (award-winning) column about pancakes and suggested I write about face masks. Not everyone's on the internet, she said, so could I find someone to explain how to make a face mask, since the CDC says we're supposed to be wearing them when we're out.

Well that didn't seem too hard. Plus, I have a camera and some spare time on my hand. So I found an old bandana and took a few pictures of how to fold it into a temporary, homemade bandana. The only problem was, I couldn't wear the mask and take a picture (who wants to see my ugly mug anyway). So I found a similarly coronatined volunteer to model it for me.

So, for the first time since our wedding announcement, you can find my mug and Gretchen's mug on the same page of the paper. You should probably check it out (and buy a subscription).

Speaking of past columns, the Steinkes came out of the woodwork for the In the Archives column from a couple of weeks ago. I've had Steinkes and former Steinkes call, email and write to me about it. This week, I even got a letter fresh off the typewriter from Mildred Klug, the daughter of Erich and Alice Steinke, who I wrote about in the column. I think I might write her back. It's been awhile since I've written a letter.

Comments