This Is The Year

Those of you who know me, know that I'm a Cubs fan. My fandom is something I take seriously. While I believe that every year is "the year" this year was especially promising because of how unexpectedly well last season went. So this year, I started the season right ... with my playoff-themed shirt from 2015. It hasn't always been easy being a Cubs fan, but let's take a walk down memory lane as the Cubs prepare for tonight's first game of the World Series.

When you look back, I really didn't stand a chance. I was wearing Cubbie pinstripes before I could walk, talk or even use the toilet.

As I grew, and outgrew, my clothes, my mom kept me well stocked in 1990s-era Chicago Cubs T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants and hats.

She took me to the fair so I could wear my allegiance on my face, even if the Cubs were being rained out.

We made it to a couple of games at Wrigley to score sweet giveaways, like this pint-sized baseball bat.

Even when we went on vacations many, many miles from the Windy City, I took my Cubbie pride with me.

As I got older, I was sure to keep the faith. I taught Gretchen how to love the Cubs ...

... and how to cope with the many disappointments.

And, like my forefathers before me, I passed on my pride to the next generation.

I taught Augie the Cubs basics and introduced him to the game.

He wore his pride on his heart ...

... and on his head.

Then along came Gracie, and my training started anew.

By Kris Bryant Day, both kids were full vested in the team.

But that wasn't enough. We had to support the farm system, too ...

... especially since South Bend is so close to home.

Now, with years of sweat and tears poured into the team, I sit and wait impatiently for Game 1 to start. I wait for the rebuilding process to reach its climax. I wait for the Cubs to end their 108-year drought. And I wait for the chance to buy myself a World Series champions hat. I'm sure Gretchen can't wait either.

Comments