This Is: Folk Art

This is an old wooden window.

This is 25 feet of chicken wire.

This is a stack of burlap sacks.

This is an old metal pull.

This is folk art.

This whole thing started a couple of months ago when I gathered up the wooden windows I noticed around the farm and cleaned them up. The eight-pane windows were easy to get rid of. Everybody wants those. But nobody wanted to buy the two pane ones (not even for $10). I guess they aren't as chic.

So last weekend, I scrounged around the farm and started looking for some hardware I could repurpose: old pulls, hinges, coat hangers. Anything I thought could be useful. I kept it simple with this first window because it already had some hooks on it and some window latches at the top that should make it easy to hang.

Today, I grabbed my tools and popped the windows out of the first frame. I didn't break either one, you should be proud.

See, no windows.

Once they were out, it was up to my friend Stanley to finish the job.

Twenty gauge chicken wire is not hard to staple, or snip for that matter. And burlap is even easier to staple, assuming it's not in a state of deterioration. So long story short, I'm turning the five two-pane windows I have into these cool pieces of wall art. If you want one, you know how to reach me. I don't think any two are going to be the same, my stack of sacks is pretty diverse.

Comments