Carvin' Pumpkins

It's Halloween, which can only mean one thing: Augie and I need to carve some pumpkins. Instead of doing two pumpkins like we did last year, Augie and I (with a little help from mom) decided to do one pumpkin and one of Grandpa Steinke's gourds.

I cut the top off the pumpkin and set Augie to work.

He tried his best with his plastic "shovel"...

...but he needed some help.

Look mom, guts!

Not quite as good as dirt, but it'll do.

Mom got started on carving the pumpkin while Augie and I started gutting the gourd.

She chose the packet of Angry Bird stencils at the store earlier this month. She went with the black bomb one for the pumpkin.

The inside of the gourd was a little softer and goopier than the inside of the pumpkin. I told Augie to just use his hands. He didn't like it.

So he grabbed his shovel, and it was all good.

I finished carving the pumpkin while Gretchen made lunch. I wore my orange shirt today so you couldn't tell if I spilled pumpkin guts on it. But my pants are khaki, so I had to take extreme precautions.

After lunch, I carved the gourd into an Angry Birds pig (because it's green, obviously). And here are this year's jack-o'-lanterns. Bring your little ones by today and see them. We have candy :-)

Comments