Even More Exciting News

As the summer of change comes to a close, I have one more exciting bit of news to share. Yesterday afternoon, I accepted a new job at the Michigan City News-Dispatch.

As you can see from my work to the right, The News-Dispatch is one of the six daily papers we design at the pagination hub in St. Joseph, so I've had a chance to do a page or two. Now, I'll be moving away from the back end of the news cycle (page design), to the front end (content production). I will be the paper's new news editor, mostly in charge of editing the stories that come in on deadline.

I've had a good working relationship with the managing editor, who took over at the paper about the same time I started working on the copy desk. When the current news editor told her he was leaving, she let me know right away. I had shown interest in the job before, and it seemed like a good fit, so I interviewed. After some back and forth between our publishers, I was offered the job. To give my boss some time to fill my position on the copy desk (and the three other openings we have) I won't be starting until Sept. 23.

It will be my first job managing other people, but that doesn't have me that concerned. I already know the reporters, indirectly, through reading their stories in the paper, so I kind of know what to expect from them. And while I don't know the area that well geographically, at least I have an idea of what's been going on news-wise. I've got some big ideas for the paper, and the managing editor seems willing to improve the paper, so stay tuned for more updates from Michigan City.

Comments