The Making of a Family Christmas Picture

As some of you have already found in your mailbox, Gretchen, Augie and I sent out a card this year with a family picture instead of my annual letter. Since we live in Michigan now, we felt the letter was less necessary, but we still wanted to do something nice. And now, I will take you behind the scenes of the making of a family Christmas photo. For the picture, I borrowed a black blanket from my mom, slide our Christmas tree in front of the window and had Gretchen sit in a chair for a test photo. I quickly found this set-up wasn't going to work ... too much wood floor.

But Gretchen standing up didn't quite work either.

So I went horizontal. (By this time Gretchen was tired of standing around as I figured out the correct angle for the shot. But it was easier to do the night before the actual picture taking than to try and do it with Augie running under foot).

Once I refined the angle some, I set the timer and rushed in front of the camera. Obviously a little tweaking was still needed.

That's better. Almost. I'm blocking the whole tree. And where's my wife?

There she is. And there's Augie, too. I think we are set for picture taking.

Time for a picture: Take One. Augie appears to be floating in the air. I don't think that's going to work.

Now he's blocking Gretchen's face. This was much easier with the snowman.

Now let's try him on dad's lap. If I wasn't apparently grabbing Gretchen's butt, this picture might have worked.

Stand up straight, Gretchen. Augie, smile will ya.

Finally, after numerous attempts (some pictured and some not) and some brightening with Photoshop, we had a winner. Merry Christmas everyone.

Comments