Free Food (and bonus video!)

Augie and I went to visit Grandma Steinke this morning. We came back with more than we bargained for. He got some new die cast planes from the new "Planes" movies. I got a dozen ears of grandpa's corn.

See, 12 ears. Augie helped me count it. He was actually pretty helpful in shucking it. He peeled all the husks back, and then handed me the ears ... and all the silks. Somehow he husked them without taking off any of the silks.

I also picked up some fresh tomatoes while I was there. Not picked. Picked up. The guy who rents my parents land planted tomatoes this year. For those of you who don't know, the red tomatoes end up on the ground because they are too ripe for selling. But they are just right for ...

... making pico de gallo!

I have waited a long time for pico de gallo season to return. Free tomato season needs to happen more often. You'll notice the cilantro in the pico. I had to brave Walmart to get it. Meijer was out of it.

We had meat with our corn for dinner ... grilled meat ... because the plastic stuff didn't taste very good.

Bonus content ahead

Augie has actually been at Grandma Steinke's a lot lately because mom is working almost full-time until she leaves the bank. A couple of people quit, so she picked up more hours. Augie hasn't minded. It means he gets to play in grandma's fun sprinkler.


It shoots up pretty high.

Comments