Augie Tested: Wheelbarrows

What could be more fun than running roughshod in the backyard with a pint-sized wheelbarrow? If you ask Augie, nothing. This old wheelbarrow is something I played with as a kid. When we moved home last summer, I found it at my parents house. It was pretty rusty. So Grandpa took it to work, sandblasted it and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Augie couldn't seem to figure out how to pick it up and move with it last year, but now he's a pro. I threw a brick in there for him yesterday so he would feel important.

Two nights ago when I was cooking on the grill, he was zipping across the backyard with that wheelbarrow. He stopped just long enough to say cheese for the camera, and he was off again.

Somehow he got it in his head that it would be funny to push the wheelbarrow around, stop, fall on the ground, roll around and giggle. I don't know where he comes up with this stuff sometimes, but he was right, it was pretty funny.

There was just one flaw in his game. Falling on the ground meant he was close enough for Roscoe to lick him. Long story short, wheelbarrows: Augie Tested, Augie Approved.

BONUS YARD CRASHERS PICTURE
Since Gretchen claims no one really cares about what I'm doing out in the yard (but really what does she know), I'll post updates to my yard crashers post from Saturday at the end of other posts. Here's what I was up to yesterday. As you can see, the area between the window wells on the north side of the house is pretty tight. I couldn't get in there with my big lawnmower and I don't have a weedwacker yet. So I figured I'd just tear out the grass and put in some more flowers. Gretchen and I planted three dianthus between the wells and some wildflowers on the outside. I couldn't quite get everything into one shot, so this is actually two photos stitched together. The whole project (the flower bed part) cost less than $25, because again we reused timber we already had. I did the well covers last fall, and that was a little more expensive. Now that I don't have to lift them up and down every time I want to mow, it should prolong their life.

Comments