The Steinke Tournament Challenge: Results

The NCAA Tournament is drawing to a close tonight in Minneapolis, but back here in Southwest Michigan, the results are already in.

If you don't remember, I once again chose Michigan to win the championship (Go Blue!), Augie and Gretchen thought alike, picking Duke to win, and Gracie went rogue with her pick (Wisconsin). Not surprisingly, none of us got all four Final Four teams (MSU, Texas Tech, Virginia and Auburn), but then again, who did pick those four teams.

Going into the second weekend, I could have potentially won every remaining game. I didn't lose any of my deep picks on the first weekend. However, that's where things started to fall apart. I got only 5 of the Elite 8 teams and 0 Final Four teams. My best start ever turned into my worst finish ever.

Gretchen got off to a decent start, too, finishing the first weekend at 36-12 -- 4 games behind me, but only 1 game behind Augie for second. She too had 4 Elite 8 picks correct, and 1 Final Four team (Virginia), but neither of the championship game teams.

Augie, as I mentioned started strong, and had the deepest run of anyone. He picked 6 Elite 8 teams correctly, but only 1 Final Four team. That team, though, was Virginia, who made it to tonight's championship.

Gracie, well, we knew Gracie made some bold picks. She was out of the running pretty early, going only 17-31 over the first weekend. She won only two more games the rest of the way, but did correctly pick MSU in the Final Four, so in that respect she did better than me.

So who won? Well, if you go strictly on win percentage, Augie and I tied with records of 45-18, with Gretchen in third, just three games back. Since we can't have a tie, we'll go with a one of the standard point scoring systems (64 points available per round, so correct picks later in the tournament are worth more points). Using that system, Augie was our winner by a wide margin. If you see him, be sure to congratulate him on his big win.

Comments