Artsy Fartsy Friday: Gingerbread Man

Augie's Take: He has sharp teeth. And he has yellow eyes, a red nose. I gave him brown hair, and his nose is red. I wrote boy. What is this word, pfft, what does that spell, dad? Let's go to the next page.

Dad's take: If you are confused by Augie's description of this project, it's because it's a book. I'll share the whole story in a minute. I'm not going to comment on the artwork this week, because the gingerbread man was already printed on the page. Instead, I'll comment on Augie's writing. Most of it is decipherable, which is good. It means he's learning at kindergarten, not just crying at the teacher when he loses the cap to his glue stick. I'm impressed by how far he's come with his letters.

Now, here's the story, with the underlined parts being the words he added to the page:

"If I were a gingerbread boy, I would run fast. If a fox asked me to jump on his back, I would say no. Being a gingerbread boy would be fun. I hope no one would eat me."

Comments