Monster Jam!

This was the scene early this afternoon at the Steinke dining room table. Augie, Grandpa Westerhoven and myself were schedule to see some monster trucks tonight in Grand Rapids, and Augie was eager for us to get there. We weren't 20 minutes down the highway when he asked, "So how much longer 'til we're there?" He's been telling everyone who will listen about monster trucks. He even had Mrs. Treder add his trip to Monster Jam on the classroom calendar.

When we got there, we discovered these were our seats: the first row behind the tarps. Mom didn't do a bad job ordering tickets online, I guess. I forgot my camera in the car -- and I wasn't going back a second time after forgetting Augie's earmuffs -- but it didn't matter much because we were sitting so close.

See, no one between us and flying monster trucks.

However, we were sitting on the end of the arena next to the garage door, so when the monster trucks were rolling it got a little cold in there.

It was a nice reprieve when the drivers brought out their go carts ...

... and their four-wheelers, because it meant the door to the outside world was shut. Something I never realized, is that it's the same eight men and women driving all of the vehicles during Monster Jam. I always figured the monster truck drivers just drove the monster trucks.

In the end, it's the monster trucks people want to see anyway. Maybe when we go back next year I won't forget my camera.

Comments