Yard Crashers Continues

Project Yard Crashers continues at the Steinke house. I pulled this tree out of my grandma bushes in the front yard and thought I'd plant it in the backyard to replace the one that broke off shortly after we bought the house (stump seen at left). It looks pretty wilty right now, but Augie has helped me water it. If I'm lucky, someday I'll be able to tell him he was once bigger than that tree.

In the long run, I'm out nothing if it doesn't take because it was free. Since we've had almost unilateral success transplanting plants at the house thus far, it was definitely worth a try. In this picture you can also see the new grass on the warning track is coming in nicely. There are still some bare spots, but overall it's not too bad.

A closer look at my tree stump turned planter shows a plethora of wild flowers growing. If they all bloom at once, it's going to be quite the sight. Stay tuned for the outcome.

As for the previously-mentioned grandma bushes. I used my $5 hedge trimmer to trim them Friday. I cleaned out the leaves and twigs that had accumulated under them and pulled a few weeds. Since I don't really have the time or money to pull them out right now and put in a flower bed, I figured I'd throw a little mulch under them to keep weeds and more trees from growing. I pulled or cut out five trees that had sprouted up in the hedges. I also found quite a bit of broken glass, a butter knife and a screwdriver. So now it's not only cleaner, it's safer. Augie helped me spread the "sprinkles," and I think we did a pretty good job.

Comments