Yard Crashers 2017

Welcome back to Yard Crashers! I know it's been awhile, but I'm back to crashing. So here's the exciting rundown. Exhibit 1: New fencing! The third and final section of fencing was officially replaced yesterday (following the other sections in 2012 and '13). It was technically my neighbor's fence, so I had to wait until he was ready to get it done. But hey, that means I only have to pay half price. No more piecemeal fencing panels patched with chicken wire. Woo-hoo!

Moving around the yard we have our fledgling gnome garden. There's only two gnomes in there, (we might have to find them some friends). We already had a tree and a mum back there. We planted an azalea between them, which was making it hard to mow, so we just expanded the space a little and made it a home for our gnome friends (and their magic mushroom). We planted some Irish moss seeds in the dirt, but I'm not sure how much of it. The packet I bought had 5,000 seeds in it, each the size of a speck of dust. So for all I know we planted it in the grass, or it stuck to our shoes, or it blew over the fence. Only time will tell.

Continuing our journey around the rear fence line, we have our firewood containment unit. I thought the blue tarp over the wood pile was ugly. So I found some used 2-by-4s and metal roofing/siding on the farm and made ... a larger ugly cover for the woodpile. Well that's what Gretchen says, anyway. I think it's awesome. Now I just need to attach a couple of handles on the front so it's easy to pull away from the woodpile. And maybe a crescent moon. It kind of looks like an outhouse.

On the other side of the tree is the new red zone. It features our bottle cap opener/bottle cap depository, the stop sign I bought from the antique store with no name, and my free fire hydrant. That's right, it was free. Isn't it awesome? It might be my new favorite firepit feature.

Because what's a firepit without a fire extinguisher, right?

Comments