Blast From the Past

Yesterday, I was going through a tote of old stuff from my grandma's house and found some fun old pictures. I thought I'd share some with you. Here is one that I'm pretty sure is Grandpa Steinke. It says "Buddy Steinke" on the back. While his name was Clarence, most people called him Bud. I didn't realize it went back so far.

Here's one from a little later in his life, on his wedding day.

There were several student body pictures from my dad's youth (he's the second kid from the right in the third row up). It appeared he went to River School for a couple of years, came over to St. Paul's Sodus for a couple of years, then went back to River School. Maybe someone can tell me why. This K-8 picture is noteworthy because it's from the first year St. Paul's was open. Aunt Elaine (second from left in the back row) was the first graduating class at St. Paul's.

At least for one summer my dad played for the Cubs ... the Sodus Cubs. There was a News-Palladium clipping from a 20-0 Cubs team. I'm not sure if it was this year (1973) or another year because dad was absent from the picture.

There were a lot of individual shots of dad in the tote. This was a popular one from his first grade year at River School. There were a lot of them in the tote, most of them cut out, but this whole sheet remains intact.

Here's a classic one of me in kindergarten. I'm pretty sure I was the best dressed person in the whole school that picture day.

Family pics were a yearly thing for Jen, Tim and I (even though Tim hated them). This one is vintage 1988. The 1987 one I found was dated Jen's birthday ... only 10 days after Tim was born. I'm not sure why mom didn't make Tim join the pics.

We played for the Sodus Little League teams, too. We weren't the Cubs, we were just Sodus, except for those few years we were the Vipers. In 1993, they even let us walk in the Eau Claire Fourth of July parade.

In the same box were my dad's birth photo from 1961 ...

... and mine from 1985. I've showed this one on here before, and I'm still not sure why they didn't wait for me to wake up to take the picture. Maybe they were trying to get home for a Christmas party.

Dad was confirmed in 1975. That bow tie doubled as a propeller. True story.

There were a bunch of others that I scanned, but I'll leave you with this one of Grandma Steinke and all the grandkids because it's so 1990s.

Comments

Post a Comment