'Trickery'

Yesterday was another great fall day in Michigan's Great Southwest. And since I was scheduled to work on Halloween, Gretchen and I took Augie to see grandmas and grandpas in his tiger Halloween outfit. In the car we prepped him for his pending candy gathering by trying to teach him how to say "trick or treat." (He seems to pick up every other word or phrase we teach him ... and some we don't). However, he couldn't quite handle "trick or treat" and it came out more like "trickery." I figured it would be close enough to score some kiddy crack, and I was right!

Augie was all business when we arrived at grandma and grandpa Steinke's house. He had his ears perk, his bucket extended, his tail wiggling and his game face squarely in place.

He could hardly get the candy in his bucket before grandma Steinke tried to hand him another piece. Like most kids his age, however, he was more interested in taking the candy out of the bucket and putting it back in. He'll learn.

When Augie made his way into grandma and grandpa Westerhoven's house, he wasn't greeted with candy, but a bag full of toys and books. Gretchen and I got some candy, though :-)

Now, this was going to be the extent of Augie's trick or treating this year (sad, I know), but mere hours after returning home, I received a text from someone at work looking to trade me Monday hours for Thursday hours. So, tomorrow night, Augie and I will be hitting up our neighborhood to see how many "Awe, how cute are you"-s we can get ... and of course, how much candy we can drag home.

Comments