The Steinkes Visit Kentucky

This weekend, we packed up the Highlander and hit the road for a visit to Kentucky. Why Kentucky? Because Aunt Jen and Uncle Luke live in Kentucky now, that's why.

We stuffed Grandma and Mikey in the car with us, which meant the third row got its annual usage. The car was a little tighter than expected. I bought a used car carrier for the roof earlier this year, but the original straps on it were broken. So I strapped it down with ratchet straps. It worked, but because it wasn't the original design, the straps blowing in the wind made it sound like we were about to take off in a single-prop airplane. So we turned around, ditched the carrier and packed everything into the Highlander for a quieter trip.

When we got there, Grandma broke out the big guns.

By which I mean, she bought dart guns for the all grandkids.

It helped them all get some energy out ...

... before we hit Cici's for some pizza.

Saturday morning was reserved for a visit to The Ark.

You might have noticed the kids were running around outside in T-shirts on Friday. Well, Saturday, there was snow. It found us in Kentucky.

In case you were wondering, yes, the ark at The Ark Encounter is built to scale. It is massive.

Inside the ark, you can stand in front of the door.

I'm not sure if it actually opens, but it's pretty big.

There was a lot to see inside, like rows of jars where reptiles would have been kept ...

... and cages full of stuffed animals to represent the bigger animals on the ship ...

... and displays of scenes you might not think about on the ark, like a blacksmith shop.

There was a nice cutout model so you could see how things would have been situated inside the ark.

Other things inside the ark included old texts in climate-controlled boxes.

Needless to say, there was a lot to see and do on the three-story ark.

Saturday afternoon we were back at the Italianos to stuff some Easter eggs. Grandma had to have her Easter egg hunt.

It warmed up enough that we were able to do the hunt outside.

I was in charge of hiding the eggs.

I didn't make it too hard on them.

I didn't get any Easter eggs for my work, but I did get this rhino and bottle of bourbon. The rhino was made in Kenya out of Coke cans and telephone wire. The bourbon was made by Barton Distillery. I chose it specifically because I was in Kentucky. Awhile back, I sold a keg bung to the distillery, which is based in Kentucky. So I thought I'd see if their product was any good. It is.

Until next weekend trip ...

Comments