This Is: A Chair (And A Step Stool!)

This is a vintage Cosco step stool chair.

This is a wire wheel.

This is spray paint.

This is a package of rubber chair tips.

This is cotton batting, "leather" and fast tack adhesive.

This is a new, vintage Cosco step stool chair.

So, I found this chair on Facebook. It, uh, was not in the best condition. The vinyl was cracked and stained, the rubber step pads were partially there, the metal leg caps were rusted out and the batting was old and oddly wet.

So I stripped it all off. And then I stripped off the paint. The legs were probably in the worst shape, not because they were painted, because they were rusted. So I cleaned them up the best I could with the wire wheel.

Because I like my fingers, all nine I have left, I dropped the nuts and bolts in a vinegar bath to melt off as much of the rust as possible.

I wanted to go with a couple different colors, so the easiest way to do that was to take the whole thing apart and hope I could remember how to put it all back together. To think it only took us three chances to get it back together right.

I managed to get half the painting done before it started raining this weekend. The second half I had to finish in the garage in a haze.

If it wasn't for the way the chair was designed, I probably wouldn't have messed with the pleather on the seat and back. But because the back has all those sharp triangles to help hold the fabric, we had to put something over it.

I thought the bolts would pop if I kept them all black. I think they turned out pretty sharp.

And now, with the chair complete, it's off to mom's school. Because every teacher needs a good teaching stool, right?

Comments