Changing Gears

For nearly two years, I've been doing the nights and weekend thing at The News-Dispatch in Michigan City. It's been a great learning experience being the local news editor.

For those of you who aren't sure what I do when I'm at work, here's the condensed version: Edit next-day and advance stories and photos, budget content for the paper, edit and bill obituaries, help coordinate news coverage with staff and freelance reporters, cull stories and photos from our sister papers, send photos to The Associated Press, write a weekly column, occasionally write stories and shoot photos, post stories to our website and manage our social media accounts.

So to be more accurate, I'm the local news editor/features editor/photo editor/online editor/social media manager/columnist/obits clerk/reporter/photographer. Yes, you're right, that's a lot of slashes for one person. I'm not going to argue with you.

Which is why I'm going to cut a few off.

Last week, the copy desk chief at The Herald-Palladium (the guy who manages the people designing the pages for 11 company papers) decided he was going to retire. He was getting old, so I can't blame him. He's been doing the nights and weekend thing for a long time himself. Late last week, he was replaced with The HP's features editor. She's more than qualified, and will undoubtedly do a great job. You might remember I was writing fun feature stories for her when I was working on the copy desk.

Anyway, that means The HP was in need of a new features editor. That's where I come in, because that new features editor is going to be me. I'm still going to have a lot of the slashes I have now (and I'll be adding page designer), but it will allow me to do a few things. 1) Spend less time driving every day ... about an hour less. 2) Get some weekends off ... likely one or two days every week. Exciting stuff. 3) Spend a little more time writing. I hope.

So I'm hoping for good things. I'll be starting up again at The HP at the end of the month. If you have any news tips, feel free to send them my way. You know how to find me.

Comments